How to Remove Chromium Virus Permanently
What is Chromium?
Before proceeding to the main discussion, let's first identify, what is Chromium?
Chromium is a project of developing a browser that can run on a multi-platform and open-source basis.
For those of you who don't know, Chromium is a cross-platform open-source web browser developed by The Project Chromium.
Its cross-platform nature makes this one browser can be installed on Windows, Mac, iOS to Android.
Chromium which is open source also benefits programmers who want to be creative in making their version of the browser.
This is what sometimes makes Chromium infiltrated by viruses and malware so that it is very dangerous for the computer if it is not removed.
So you can conclude, Chromium which suddenly opens itself when you are browsing is not the original Chromium.
Chromium has been developed by unofficial developers so that it is intentionally/unintentionally infected by viruses and malware
Is There a Chromium Virus?
Chromium is not a virus or malware, but an open-source browser developed by The Project Chromium.
However, because it is open source, this browser is prone to be infiltrated by viruses/malware so many computer users are wondering how to get rid of Chromium.
Chromium infected with viruses and malware is usually developed by third-party developers, which is annoying.
Usually, this Chromium will open suddenly more than once so that browsing activities and using a computer are not comfortable.
Therefore, here we review an easy way to uninstall Chromium to its roots.
Is Chromium Dangerous?
Chromium Browser infected with a virus will be very dangerous for the computer, so its removal is highly recommended.
Here are the risks of letting the Chromium virus remain on your computer/laptop:
- Identity theft
- Dangerous ads
- Redirecting users' searches to malicious websites
- Consumes high CPU usage so the device gets hot easily
- Change the web browser home page
- Can install suspicious toolbars without user permission
How to Remove Chromium Permanently
1. Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11
How to remove Chromium in Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11 is as follows:
- The first is to uninstall Chromium, the trick is to click "Start Menu" then select "Control Panel"
- In the next menu select "Programs and Features" then the software method with the name Chromium
- Once found, right-click on the mouse in the Chromium software then click "Uninstall"
But if Chromium is still not deleted, then deleting the Chromium folder is the next solution. The Chromium folder is usually a hidden file so it must be configured first. Here you can see the steps:
- First open Windows Explorer by pressing the “Windows+E” key on the keyboard
- After that click "Organize" then select "Folder and search options"
- Then open the “View” menu then click “Show hidden files, folders and drives” then click “Apply” and “OK”
- If so, now find the Chromium folder in "Local Disc (C)" and click the "Users" menu
- Then select the "Apps Data" folder then select the "Local" menu
- Now locate the folder named “Chromium” then delete the folder forever with “CTRL+A” followed by “ALT+Del”
2. Remove Chromium Using Regedit
If you have followed the method above and Chromium is still not deleted, then you can try using Regedit.
You can do this method on all Windows OS, starting from Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11. Here are the steps:
- First, open the "Start Menu" then type in the search field the words "regedit" then press "Enter"
- Once open, you can select the option "HKEY Current User" then select "Software"
- Now scroll down look for the “Chromium” folder
- Once found, right-click on the folder and select the "Delete" option.
- If so, restart the computer and do "Disc Clean Up"
3. Remove Chromium on Mac OS
If you are using a Mac OS computer, then how to remove Chromium is as follows:
- First, click the "Go" button located in the upper right corner then select the "Applications" menu
- Wait a few moments until all folders are displayed then look for a folder named "Chromium"
- Then right-click on the folder and select the “Move to Trash” option.
4. Remove Chromium from Google Chrome
- First, open Google Chrome then click "Settings" then "Tools" and "Extensions"
- Then click on Chromium plugins/add-ons then select “Trash Icon” to remove the extension entry
- If the browser start page has been changed by Chromium, then go to "Settings"
- Then in the "On startup" menu select the option "Open a specific page or set of pages" then click "Set page"
- Then delete the suspicious website address by clicking the “X” button
- Then enter a website address that you want as a page in front of a browser, for example, Google
- If so, open the "Settings" menu again, then select "Manage Search Engine" in the "Search" menu
- Next, delete the search for suspicious websites
- If so, now reset Google Chrome by opening the "Settings" menu and then selecting "Reset Browser Settings"
- Finally, click “Reset” to confirm restart settings
So that you don't become the next victim, you need to be careful in downloading, especially software from less obvious websites.
Especially from websites that do not use SSL certificates for security.
SSL allows sending data from the server to the client safely to avoid malware and the like.
Can Removing Chromium Remove Malware?
More precisely, can removing Chromium remove existing viruses?
Well, I should. On a note, the virus is still not spread to the system. Because if it's already spread, then you have to do a scan again using an antivirus. Examples such as:
- Windows Defender.
- And others like it.
Therefore, after Chromium is removed, you should just do a re-scanning. Thus, the virus contained in the system will be lost.
The final word
That's the discussion about Chromium.
Again, this application is not a virus. However, it's a different story if you install this application from less trusted sources.
Well, the two ways to remove Chromium that I discussed above are quite effective. Guaranteed, the Chromium app is 100% clean and disappears from the system.
If you have any questions regarding this topic, please submit your questions via the comments column below.
Hope it is useful.